Tuesday, December 2, 2008

FRESH APPLE PIE

I bought apples from a fruit stand on Saturday and when I came home from work I noticed I still had 2 bags of apples left and my boys were not eating them so I decided to make apple pie or my version of apple pie. It turned out great this was my first apple pie and it was a HIT with my son Paethon. Paethon is my finicky eater so if I get his seal of approval then I am sure my apple pie was good

Bobbie's Apple Pie
  • 3 c. fresh green tart apples preferably granny smith
  • 1 t. pure vanilla
  • 2 T. brown sugar
  • cornstarch for coating the apples
  • 2 T. cold butter cubed
I am not a fan of measuring cups I just estimate when I am lucky its perfect but sometimes it lacks an ingredient or two. Cut your apples to your desired size. Add vanilla & brown sugar. Coat apples with cornstarch until apples are fully coated then add 2 T. more. Pour into pie plate or if you noticed I placed my pie shell on a cookie sheet. Cut 2 T. cold butter into cubes and top on apples before covering with another pie pastry shell. Using a fork poke your pie before baking to release any steam. Bake @ 300 degrees for 30 minutes then turn up to 350 degrees for another 20 or until the crust turns a beautiful brown color



Cut your apples to desired size or slice if preferred



Mix apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla (pure) & the secret ingredient cornstarch top with cold butter


Cover the apple with pastry shell and sprinkle brown sugar on top.You can brush the top with an egg wash ( 1 egg 2 T. water mix) for a glow finish but I prefer the simple sugar approach



30 minutes into the baking @ 300 degrees




Slice of fresh and yummy apple pie OMG I can taste the difference. I will start making my own version.



Even yummier with whipped cream! I highly recommend you try this recipe it will make you change your mind with the store bought version

No comments: