Friday, January 23, 2009

Ben&Ki Simple Crab Cakes


I love making crab cakes! I don't get cheap on the crab meat since this is the main ingredient. This is not something you would have if you are dieting! But this is definitely something well worth to make for a loved one. A great recipe for Valentine's dinner.

Ben&Ki's Simple Crab Cake

You will need:
  • fresh crab meat
  • pepper (don't add salt the crab is salty already)
  • 1 egg beaten
  • flour - just enough to bind crab together
  • 2 T. clarified butter
Steps as follows:
  • With the crab meat use as much or less depending on how many persons will be eating.
  • Add one beaten egg to the crab meat and gently mix together the egg holds the crab together when frying
  • Add pepper
  • Add just enough flour to the crab meat mixture to bind them together. If you use too much you will have one dry crab cake
  • Once you bind the crab meat together make small balls of equal size
  • Flatten
  • Fry in butter on medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side. Don't turn too soon or your crab cake will break. I know its a little tricky but yet all well worth it!
  • As a special treat I have found a lobster paste in Oriental stores that made a great accompaniment to this crab cake. What I did with my lobster paste was I made a thin white sauce added the paste and butter and poured over my crab cakes!! Yummy!

I am not a fan of measuring cups or spoons. Since you will be devouring this yummy first course meal, just measure to your hearts content-using more or less of the ingredient specified, taste to your satisfaction and enjoy!

No comments: